Wednesday, April 21, 2010

From Nursery to On my Honor...


This week has been a first for me. I got called to work with the Cub Scouts. Now, I have to say that this is not a calling I ever thought I would have. But alas, I am going to be working with the Webelos (the 10-year-old boys). I feel like a fish out of water, but I think it is going to be a lot of fun. Last night I met with the lady who got released and the lady that I am working with as my partner and we talked about a few things that have been going on in scouts. It was good to listen to them talk about the things they have been doing and how everything fits together.



This afternoon was my very first Cub Scout Den Meeting. Wow. I forgot what 10-year-old boys are like. I think that is all I really have to say about that.

Actually, we have a really good group of boys. Three of them are getting their Arrow of Light next week at our Pack meeting and moving onto the 11-year-old scouts. Then we will have six boys in our den. I was really impressed with the depth of thought that some of the boys demonstrated in our discussion about respect for each other and respect for nature. We worked on our Naturalist pin this afternoon because they went on a hike on Saturday. Today we finished up the requirements that they had.

We also made paper bag kites. It really was a good day to fly the kites, until it started raining/hailing as everyone was on their way home. It wasn't a little sprinkle either - it was full rain. I don't know if any of the kites made it all the way home without being soaked through.

I hope that soon, I will understand how the program works (although they are making significant changes to the program starting this fall.) I am looking forward to getting my very own book and some training. I'll keep you updated on our exciting activities.

On another note...It's the last day of finals for another semester. I have been working on writing and I feel good about the direction of my projects. I am excited to work on them throughout the summer. :) So now I guess Spring is officially here!

1 comment:

leslie said...

You'll be great where ever you serve! Good Luck!