Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In like a lion

I decided (it wasn't very hard) that March has come in like a lion. Hopefully it actually will go out like a lamb.

This last little bit has been so busy. However, I'm hoping that will change a little bit. Two of the classes that I have been co-teaching have gone out to do a practicum in the schools, so they are not at BYU during the day for the next five weeks. So that means I can hopefully write a paper for our conference in Washington DC (March 28-April 1) and write a proposal for a paper to present at the Evaluation conference in Denver next fall. So it actually won't slow down any, but hopefully I will be able to focus on my writing a little bit.

My classes are going well. I really enjoy all of them. Right now in my programming class, I am learning how to write a quiz. So that is a lot of fun. It has been interesting to me how the concepts I learned when I took programming in BASIC lo these many years ago at Adams State have come back to my memory. It has been amazing. It has just been so long ago.

In my distance education class on Monday we talked about creativity. I was excited to think about the fact that creativity doesn't necessarily mean "artsy" because I'm certainly not that. But really, it is being able to think about things in a new or different way.

I have also been thinking about the power of networking. Some of that networking is virtual, but a lot of it happens in everyday interactions. I listened to a presenter (David Wiley) talk about the benefits of networking and how to go about doing it (to listen to his presentation, go to iptso.wordpress.com) and I realized that the "pick me" syndrome that I have is really a good networking tool because I am able to work with so many people. So being a "pick me" person is not all bad. :)

No comments: