Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Life is Good

I just realized that my last post was at the beginning of Spring term and now Spring term has finished and Summer term has begun. I had a really good Spring term with 6 students. I was really impressed by them. I did try to have activities that really involved them and had them share their experiences. It worked really quite well. I had fun with them.

I also started working at the Center for Teaching and Learning here at BYU. I had the opportunity of helping at the ICED Conference (International Consortium for Educational Development). A lot of the conference was about faculty development and training. I did get to go to a couple of sessions, but mostly I was a volunteer so I ran lots of errands, sat at the information table, and that is about all. It turned out really well.

In addition to the Conference, I was assigned to work on a project with the College of Nursing. They are working on their practice labs and want the students to work with real "patients" (mannequins) that have a whole history and story behind them so they can develop better critical thinking. The faculty developed some scripts and then I got to put them in a format where one student would be the assistant and one would be the nurse and then they would switch for a different scenario. With their scenarios, they would practice everything they learned in their classes and the demonstrations.

I spent two days down in the basement of one of the buildings here on campus that is a fully-filled hospital (but no patients). But they have the beds and all of the equipment and materials that you would find in a hospital. I learned so many fun things (i.e. how to give a bed bath and change the sheets with a patient inside the bed, how to wet-dress a wound, how to insert a catheter, how to provide oral care for someone with head trauma). It was really neat to work on the project and now we are almost finished with it.

Yesterday I started taking a class called Applied Creativity. I am really excited about it and am looking forward to unlocking creativity (I just hope there is some inside to unlock). Yesterday we talked about barriers to creativity and now I want to learn how to overcome those barriers.

Anyway, that's the update on me. I love you all!

3 comments:

Farrah said...

Sounds like Spring was good for you! I hope summer and your class will be fun as well. Definitely keep us posted! I enjoy reading up on your life!

Home on the Range said...

Great Job! You are so amazing...thanks for the update. Glad you liked nursing...we may need one when we are old and grouchy!! Love you Tons!

Devri said...

Hi Cary! I just came across your blog on Kristen & Mitch's blog and wanted to say HI! :-) I haven't seen you forever! How are you doing?